The territory has been colonized since ancient times: Nuraghic, Phoenician, Punic and Roman settlements left a big evidence of their past along the wonderful coastline.
The small village of Chia was born during the Judicial age, and it is included in Nora’s administrative region. It seems that its greatest expansion was reached during the Punic domination, even if later the Romans continued to use the site. It was a complex village, divided into quarters, which were connected by a decent road network and that converged towards the port. The most notable discovery was the temple of Bes, with its simulacrum of the Bull-God carved in the sandstone (kept at the museum of Cagliari). Also the fortification walls, the necropolis and the Tophet have been identified.
During the Aragonese domination, the village assumed considerable importance and it became coveted among the vassals, despite continuing tensions between the village and its inhabitants. After the wars between Arborea and Aragon, the village was abandoned and it became a hideout for pirates, like the majority of the southwest horn of the island. The famous Tower of Chia (1639) was used precisely to eradicate this threat. In the eighteenth century it became a fishing village, a hamlet of Domus de Maria, but its recent expansion is due to its beautiful beaches and the growing cultural tourism, interested in the beautiful ruins of Bithia.
In the territory of Domus de Maria there are numerous testimonies of the Phoenician and Punic age, including the ruins of the city of Bithia. There are also traces of human presence from the Bronze Age with the Nuraghe Chia and betilis, at Punta Su Sensu.
The current town originated in the eighteenth century, thanks to the settlement of the Piarist fathers and of a group of families from neighboring territories, who settled in the area.